If you’re in the beauty community, you most likely know about beauty subscriptions. A popular one is the Ipsy bag that comes monthly and only costs $10. I say only because it a fairly decent price for five products that range from affordable to splurge-y. I think most people know about Ipsy, so I won’t go into more detail about it.
The package they ship it in may be the cutest thing ever.
Here are some of my thoughts regarding some other people’s thoughts on the Ipsy bag. You can skip if you just want to see this month’s bag.
I’m not the type of person to use up an entire lip color considering I have waaaay too many different shades. I enjoy only having a little bit of the product in these because if I love it enough and use the entire thing up, I’ll go out and buy it. If I like the product but I’m not a huge fan of the color, I can buy it in a different shade. I think the bag is such a good idea, and although it is only my second month of getting the subscription, I love it. I totally think it’s worth the $10 a month.
I know a lot of people don’t like it because they say Ipsy doesn’t listen to what they filled out in their survey thingy, and I totally see that. I’m not too bothered so far by it. I view it as a way to try out products and colors I may not usually buy because I’m too afraid or don’t think they will work. I don’t like forking over $20+ for a lip product or color I don’t think I’d wear everyday, and I tend to stick to hair products that I am certain work for me. This box introduces me to new things.
I will keep purchasing it as the months go on unless I find something better.This bag excites me knowing I will have something to look forward to in the mail each month. Honestly, it seems like the best bang for your buck as far as price goes for what you are receiving. Again, I like sample sizes. I know other companies that charge $20+ a month have full-sized and more expensive products, but for a girl like me who likes more affordable options as well as high-end, I think it’s perfect.
As with each month, there is a theme attached to the bag. I don’t see how the theme ever applies to the products given. I think it’s just for the bag. Nonetheless, the theme this month is Dreamers. That’s cute, right?
The bag is tied-dyed from yellow to orange to red to blue. It’s not my favorite bag they’ve done, but my mom liked it a lot. The inside and the zipper that says Ipsy are a turquoise color.
Starlooks Luxe Longwear Eye Pencil in Jet
- Ipsy Box Size: 0.14 oz (says on the Ipsy website but not on the actual product)
- Full Size: The Starlooks website does not say
- Full Size Price: $16
- This is a matte black liner that is more like a traditional twist up pencil but has a twist of its own. It dulls away like any other creamy gel pencil but it writes like an ink marker. I mean that in the nicest way.
- I haven’t had a chance to try it on my eyes, but I marked my arm to test it out. It got a bit smudgy when I ran my finger over it. It makes me wonder if it will transfer on my hooded lids.
- Opaque color but I’m worried about transfer.
Nth Degree Moroccan Argan Oil & Keratin Hair Serum
- Ipsy Box Size: 0.34 oz
- Full Size: 3.4 oz
- Full Size Price: $14
- It’s an oil, so it’s oily (probably could’ve just not mentioned that). It has the typical smell that I find all products with argan oil have.
- On the Ulta website (where I checked the full-sized price), it says the product is meant for “normal, unruly, chemically treated hair.” I have never dyed my hair, but I have used products in it. I wonder if they are referring to chemicals in hair dye or chemicals in all hair products.
- I put a small amount on my hair, and it did seem a tad bit smoother. I don’t think it looked too greasy. I’m curious as to what it would look like if I applied it to a larger chunk of my hair.
L.A.B. (Live and Breathe Beauty) Just Blending in Brush
- Ipsy Box Size: full size
- Full Size: full size
- Full Size Price: $6.99
- I believe this is a full-sized product. Its handle has the feeling similar to Nars’ packaging but not quite the same. This also means fingerprints, fingerprints, fingerprints. The bristles are soft but feel durable. It seems like a well made product.
- I was very excited about getting this brush because I’m been in the hunt for a long-bristled blending brush. I know Sigma is the popular choice, but I don’t want to pay shipping for only one brush. I more of a Wait Until You Plan on Doing a Huge Haul and Then Order So You Can Qualify for Free Shipping kind of girl.
- Right off the bat, I think this is a win for $7. I may need to go check out their other ones.
Nudestix Lip + Cheek Pencil in Mystic
- Ipsy Box Size: 0.088 oz
- Full Size: 0.05 oz
- Full Size Price: $24
- I’m a bit confused because on the Ipsy website it says there is more product in the box’s pencil than when you buy it at Sephora. I know that this cannot possibly be bigger than the full-sized product…can it? So confusing.
- To be honest, I was not that excited for this product. I’m not big on lip pencil-ly crayon things. In my experience, they mostly been a tinted lip gloss. I was pleasantly surprised by this product.
- It’s not that opaque, but it is build-able to fully cover your lips. I find this shade to be a little bit darker and more purple take on the “your lips but better” thing.
- It’s a creamy consistency that glides on smooth. I think it’s a very nice product that would work for a lot of people. It is not drying because I don’t think it dries down all the way.
Buxom Cosmetics Wildly Whipped Lightweight Liquid Lipstick in Centerfold
- Ipsy Box Size: 0.06
- Full Size: 0.16
- Full Size Price: $21
- The product I was most excited for! I have never tried a Buxom lip product but have heard good things about them. I’d compare the feeling to a NYX Lingerie Liquid Lipstick. Even the wand is similar. This formula is not as drying as the NYX when first applied, but I’m still not a fan of this one. A lot of liquid lipstick I’ve tried have been overly drying and look terrible on my dry lips. This one is not as bad when first applied but it ends up like the NYX ones. It’s patchy, drying, and wears off throughout the day and through eating.
- The color Centerfold (reminds me of the song) is one I did not think I would like. When I swatched it, it seemed like it had an orange tint that typically does not look good on my pale skin tone. Once applied to the lips, it did not looks as bad. I think the color looks alright on me, and I would wear this out of the house.
- The packaging comes with brief claims of the product. It also shows the different shades this lipstick comes in.
- I don’t think I’d purchase the full size.
Bag Price: $10
Bag Value: $81.99
(Bag value determined by total price before taxes if you purchase each full-size product separately)
I think this month’s bag was a very good one. I’m not disappointed by any of the products considering I would’ve went out and purchased a blending brush like the one in the bag and would’ve eventually spent too much money on a Buxom without any idea of if I’d like it or not.
I’m glad this month I was opened up to some new brands and products. I can’t wait to see what next month brings!
-Hannah : )
My Ipsy Referral Link: https://www.ipsy.com/new?refer=vv4ij
This link does not make me money, but it would help me earn points towards rewards. You don’t have to use it if you are going to subscribe. It’d just be nice. 🙂